Abp. of Sinai Appeals for Protection Amid Escalation at St. Catherine’s Monastery
Photo: Orthodox Times
SINAI — Archbishop Damianos of Sinai has appealed to the governments of Egypt and Greece for protection, warning that his life is at risk following violent clashes at St. Catherine’s Monastery.
In a video message on August 27, the hierarch said he and a group of monks have barricaded themselves inside the ancient monastery while expelled monks remain outside attempting to force entry. “I appeal to Egypt and Greece to protect me from potential threats,” Damianos stated, noting the heightened tension coincides with the Feast of the Dormition.
The Archbishop later confirmed that the Greek government had contacted him directly, expressing gratitude for Athens’ concern and the global support of the faithful. Meanwhile, expelled monks accused police forces of siding with them, demanding access to the monastery compound. Egyptian authorities have not yet issued an official response.
Greek officials emphasized their commitment to safeguarding St. Catherine’s, describing it as both a shrine of Orthodoxy and a monument of world heritage.
The crisis stems from a memorandum submitted by members of the Sinai Brotherhood seeking Damianos’ removal as Archbishop and Abbot. Damianos dismissed the accusations as “parachurch gossip” and “slander,” vowing to pursue legal action in Greece. Any compensation from lawsuits, he said, would be donated to the monastery.
"I humbly apologize for the scandal caused to the faithful and pray to God to forgive them for the immeasurable harm they have caused, and continue to cause, to the Holy Monastery and to the national effort to safeguard its status and future," Abp. Damianos stated.
The dispute has intensified divisions within one of Christianity’s most historic monasteries, where Damianos has served for more than 50 years.
Previously, UOJ reported that the 12 monks recently expelled from St. Catherine’s Monastery in Sinai have issued a letter condemning Abbot Abp. Damianos, accusing him of decades of “autocratic, self-serving, reckless, and irresponsible” leadership that dismantled the monastery’s centuries-old governance.
Read also
Constantinople Synod to Summon Met. Tychikos in October
The metropolitan had appealed to the Holy Synod of the Patriarchate of Constantinople following the decision by the Holy Synod of the Church of Cyprus to depose His Eminence from his position.
Bishop Barron Rebukes Minneapolis Mayor Over Dismissal of Prayer After School Shooting
Catholic leader condemns “asinine” remarks, calls attack on Annunciation School an act of anti-Catholic violence.
Abp. of Sinai Appeals for Protection Amid Escalation at St. Catherine’s Monastery
Damianos warns of threats to his life as dispute with expelled monks deepens; Greece pledges support as Egypt is silent.
Case Opened Against Epiphanius Dumenko for Defamation of UOC Hierarch
The Shevchenko District Court of Kyiv will hear a lawsuit filed by Metropolitan Theodosius against the head of the OCU regarding his statements on TSN.
Woman Reports Being Drugged and Aborted Against Her Will After Last Minute Change of Heart
Operation Rescue says case reflects broader pattern of neglect in Illinois' abortion industry
Patriarch of Romania: President Trump is a defender of Christian values
Patriarch Daniel discussed with the U.S. envoy the role of interreligious and inter-Christian dialogue in today’s world.