UOC Metropolitan Detained for Hours, Passport Seized in Kyiv

Photo: Photo: pravlife.info

A UOC Metropolitan was released after hours of detention in Kyiv, but officials kept his passport without providing any documentation.

KYIV — A Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) Metropolitan was detained for several hours at a military recruitment center in Kyiv, while officials also confiscated his passport without providing documentation explaining the seizure, according to his lawyer.

Metr. Sergei of Tulchin and Bratslav and Archpriest Anatoly Vishnevy were detained Aug. 15 at the Darnitsky District Territorial Recruitment Center and Social Support Office, where they were undergoing military medical examinations. UOC lawyer Archpriest Nikita Chekman reported that Metr. Sergei was eventually released after being held from approximately 8 a.m.

According to Fr. Nikita, officials did not draw up a protocol or other document establishing a legal basis for the Metropolitan’s detention. Although Metr. Sergei was released, his Ukrainian passport was confiscated. No receipt, act, protocol, or other documentation was provided to him concerning the seizure or its legal justification.

The lawyer described the actions as unlawful and said the UOC would file formal complaints. Meanwhile, officials reportedly sought to mobilize Fr. Anatoly despite information that he was not wanted by authorities and had not violated military-registration requirements.

Fr. Nikita said his legal team intends to challenge the detention, passport seizure, and attempted mobilization through all available legal means.

Previously, the UOJ reported that reports claimed a UOC priest was detained by military recruitment officials in the Kirovohrad region.

Share

Read also